About Us


Founded in Radnor, Pennsylvania in 1883, the Radnor Hunt is the oldest continuously active fox hunt in the United States, recognized by the Masters of Foxhounds Association of America.  For a century and a quarter, Radnor Hunt has been the center of an active and loyal sporting community. 

From its inception, the leading families of Philadelphia and the newly popular Main Line enjoyed the hunt.  Well known citizens, such as Pennsylvania Railroad titan Alexander Cassatt and James Rawle of the Brill Streetcar manufacturing firm, were among the founding group of sports enthusiasts.  The original property (at the intersection of Darby-Paoli and Roberts Roads) was purchased in 1883; James Rawle was elected the first President with Horace B. Montgomery as the inaugural Master of Foxhounds.

Throughout the end of the 19th and early years of the 20th centuries, the exploits of Radnor Hunt were regularly recounted in Philadelphia newspapers.  The Thanksgiving Day hunt and associated Hunter Trials and Races attracted large crowds of onlookers who would drive their carriages and later their motorcars to the club to enjoy a day of sport.  Even the call to duty that many hunt members answered joining the fight in World War One didn’t imperil hunting and racing.  However, the post-war encroachment of suburbia and attendant growth of the membership led the hunt’s leadership to consider new country, farther afield.

Radnor had been hunting regularly “up-country” in parts of Tredyffrin, Easttown, and Willistown townships. Led by members Benjamin Pew, Horace Hare and Edward Beale, and joined by the newly affiliated M. Roy Jackson, former Rose Tree Hunt, of Media, PA, Huntsman, who had become Master and Huntsman of Radnor, the hunt purchased the old Gallagher Farm on Boot Road (now Providence Road) in White Horse, PA.  Hunt member Arthur Meigs of the renowned Philadelphia architectural firm of Mellor, Meigs and Howe was commissioned to oversee renovations to the farmhouse and the design and construction of new stables and kennels.  The Hunt moved to its present location in 1931.

Radnor Hunt Officers:
President, Eileen M. Corl
Vice President, John Wesley Hardin
Treasurer, Stephen E. Flynn II
Secretary, Jane M. Taylor